Sunday 25 April 2010

Vluyn and Krefeld

Hello

We arrived in Vluyn on Monday afternoon. Vluyn is a small town in the Rheinland region of Germany where I spent many happy holidays as a child at my grandparents house. Vluyn is very different now and it was with mixed feelings that I wandered around the town.

I wanted to show Harry where I had lived as a child and all the local haunts. We found ourselves in the local pub where we had a drink and something to eat. The locals were curious and started chatting to us and we were amazed when one old chap remembered my aunt and uncle who used to live in the street. No one seemed to remember my grandparents but that was a long time ago. The house is still there though, fully renovated and looking good.

We paid our respects at the Cemetery and visited the local Church where my mother and father were married and where I was baptised. The Church had been recently renovated and looked spectacular inside.

After spending a few days in Vluyn we  travelled to Forstwald near Krefeld where my aunt lives and we spent a very enjoyable weekend with her with visits from all of my cousins and their families who live in the area.

This morning (Sunday) we said our farewells to Tante Margret and have travelled west. We have chosen a small site near Lowenhagen not far from Gottingen. The weather is glorious with the promise of more to come.

This week was a private family visit but normal service will be resumed next week with more pictures and anecdotes.

Love to all - speak again next week.

Kath and Harry xxx

1 comment:

  1. Hi there - very interesting to read how you are getting on. I have printed them all out for Mum and she is enjoying them a lot. Mum is keen to send her good wishes for your forthcoming wedding anniversary. Kind regards Joy

    ReplyDelete